Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

Greetings from the Maschger clan! We have had another GREAT week...there is just NEVER a dull moment!

The BIG milestones for the week would be, significant success in the potty training department. Those of you who have gone through this ordeal will appreciate how marvelous ANY progress toward a diaper free child can be. After literally checking out EVERY book and video on potty training from the entire Anne Arundel County Public Library system, and countless hours of reading potty books and watching potty movies, it appears that Maddie finally caught the vision! Friday, our little girl got up from the couch and announced that she had to go to the potty. As she headed up the stairs, I asked if she needed any help from Mommy. Her reply, "No, I do it myself"...and off she went. About 20 minutes later I hear from the upstairs, "Mommy, I did it! Come look! I did it!" And sure enough she had...all by herself. After her second successful trip, she informed me, "No more diapers for Maddie" What a beautiful thing! While we realize there is a way to go till we are relatively stress free in this particular department...how wonderful it is to know that we are at least on the path! :-)

The other BIG milestone would be Miles completion of what will be his FINAL college course. He took his final final last Saturday, and we are feeling the tremendous release of literally years of stress! Now there may be some of you who are bit confused, seeming to remember that we had mentioned that we were still a couple of years away from finally achieving the elusive bachelor's degree. Well, there was a change of plans...after some extensive research, we have found an accredited institution that will accept ALL of Miles over 160 credits, and award him a bachelor's degree with Persian/Farsi, and computer emphasis. As our plans are to either apply to Officer Candidate School, explore the myriad of jobs available in this area for someone with Miles training, or apply to law school...having the degree allows us to FINALLY start moving forward in any or all of these areas. So, stay tuned...big happenings are on the horizon!

We had a wonderful day yesterday...Cousin Katy was able to come up and spend an exciting day with the Maschger clan. We had some GREAT Indian food...Maddie and Emma LOVE naan...and Emma really LOVED the Mango Lassi :-) Then we took some time to play at the park. As we were heading home from the park, Emma informed us that she didn't want to go home, in one of my brilliant "Mom" moments, I asked, "Well, where do you want to go?" Our 2 year old Emma replied, "I go to Target!" I believe that it may be entirely possible that there is a "shopping gene", and our Emma got it! :-) As Cousin Katy had no objection to heading to Target, we went shopping at Target! While we are very happy for our Cousin Katy and her upcoming move, we are really going to miss her! :-) It has been so wonderful to have family close by...we love her!

In closing, I'd like to take a moment to wish all of you a Happy Mother's Day...I am soo grateful for my wonderful mother, who I believe with all my heart knows everything, and is perfection personified....I am also very grateful for my mother-in-law and the wonderful son that she raised, he truly blesses my life everyday! We love each and everyone of you...and miss you more than words can say!

2 comments:

Michael said...

HOLY COW THAT'S GREAT NEWS MILES & TAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OCS, OCS, OCS, OCS, OCS, OCS!!! Or get out of the Navy and make twice as much doing the same job with that pretty piece of paper :) 160 hours! Sheesh! Sounds like you've been looking for years for some place to take all that work towards a bachelor's degree. Congratulations! Again, great news.

Miss you all! Say hi to those beautiful young ladies for me :)
-Michael

brailsmt said...

Congratulations Miles...and Tam!