Monday, October 27, 2008

Lizards and grasshoppers...

A memorable Maddie moment:

This afternoon, I was downstairs on the computer, and the girls were upstairs playing. By "playing" I mean an even mix of laughter, screaming and tears. After one such bout, Madelynn appears at my side with her stuffed lizard wrapped in a couple of pieces of cloth. She informed me that Emma had stepped on her lizard, and that the said lizard was now injured. Being a great Mom, I immediately and GENTLY took the lizard from her arms, and proceeded to examine this poor creature. After a thorough exam, I informed Maddie that all was well, but that she should probably keep the lizard wrapped up for another day, and let him rest. She took the lizard from me, and agreed to take good care of it until their appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning at 8am. She disappeared upstairs, and I returned to the computer.

About 3 minutes later, Madelynn returned with lizard in hand, for their appointment (apparently I was the doctor). I gave the lizard another examination, and proclaimed him completely recovered. Maddie then let me know that the lizard's tongue was also broken, so that he couldn't catch bugs anymore. I told her that I would recommend she squish some bugs and feed her lizard until his tongue was better. Maddie replied, "OH! Great idea! He loves bug pie! I will make him some bug pie!" Off she went....

About 10 minutes later, she again appears at my side, with the lizard again wrapped from head to tail in cloth. She explained that while she was making the bug pie some grasshoppers jumped on her lizard, and they hurt him. Trying to contain the laughter, I remarked that perhaps she should not have used such mean grasshoppers. Maddie quickly replied, "Oh, they weren't mean grasshoppers, they are nice grasshoppers...but they had pointy toes." How I love the imagination on this kid! :-) I, of course, administered to the poor lizard, and sent her off once again.

The moral of the story, watch out for grasshoppers with pointy toes...because while they are nice, they apparently LOVE to jump on your back, and the results can be disastrous...just ask Maddie's lizard! :-)

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I knew there was a reason I screamed like a girl when a grasshopper came too close to me.

Unknown said...

That's an awesome story! Pointy-toed grasshoppers have always been a bit of a problem!

0 said...

What a cute story! I would like to point out (no pun intended) that Uncle Grasshopper did NOT have pointy toes!

Roemmele Family said...

What great imagination. My oldest (age 3) is just like that and I agree that it is fun to be a part of her world when she is in that mode. What a great doctor you are. :o)