Sunday, July 19, 2009

What a MONTH!!!!

Honestly, not even sure where to begin...sooooooo much has been happening in the life of our little family...

Let's take it one member at a time:

Ellie - our little 6 MONTH OLD is now "crawling" - a combination of a couple of crawl "steps" followed by a few tummy scoots then a couple of crawl "steps" then scooting, etc. until she reaches her desired destination - which is usually some power cord, or piece of paper! :-) Yesterday, I put her down for her afternoon nap...after listening to her cry and cry and cry, I decided to go and check on her (we had to remove her bumper pad because she could pull it up and away from the sides of the crib and then she'd get trapped under it, or wrapped up in it - needless to say, often we have to go in and stick various limbs back into the crib!) believing that I'd be unsticking one of her limbs, I walked in to find her STANDING up!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!! I did NOT place an order for this! I wanted her to lay quietly on the floor for the first 6 months...take another 6 to figure out crawling, and maybe another 6 to figure out how to walk...I was giving myself a good 18 months! :-) We have caught her several times over the last 24 hours pulling herself into a standing position...needless to say we have dropped the crib mattress lower, and are trying to adjust to the idea that our days of crawling are numbered! :-) To make matters even more fun...Ellie cut her first tooth last week, and cut her second tooth this week...AND has another tooth poised to cut...probably next week! :-) JEEEEZ!!! Anyone have any suggestions on how to slow down a little one who is soooo intent on growing up?

Miles had PRK last week (7/9)! It was a blessing...and a challenge...all rolled into one! The way this works, is that you submit a request for this surgery...the Navy completely pays for everything...then you are placed on a waiting list. Miles got a call around the first of July that it was his turn! The timing could not have been better. He is between commands, and so isn't even going into work...AND he isn't in school, where there would have been no way he would have been able to take the week off for recovery. By the time he starts school, all will be healed and well. HOWEVER, I must add a comment here...having known people who had LASIK, and witnessing the PRK surgery and recovery...if you have the option...go LASIK!!!!! The PRK recovery was BRUTAL! Miles was down and in pain for several days. We spent the first few days with all the lights off in the house, and the blinds closed. For the first three days, Miles seriously questioned whether it had been worth it...considering that if he had the choice to make over he would cheerfully wear glasses the rest of his life! :-) However, over a week has passed and all is well. He has made a complete recovery, and while his vision hasn't quite stabilized yet, he is seeing 20/40 and was told that given another week or two, that number will drop to 20/20 or even 20/15...not bad! I was really jealous, until I lived with him through the recovery...now when it's my turn...I am NOT doing PRK! :-)

The girls are enjoying an extended summer vacation from classes, because.....

WE ARE MOVING!

We got a call a couple of days before Miles surgery that we had FINALLY made it up the waiting list for larger quarters, and they had a nice, newer place ready for us! For those who don't already know, our new address will be: 8573 Barkley St. We are staying in Fort Meade, so everything else stays the same...

So, in my free time, I am packing up our little house (in which we have packed a TON of stuff!) and getting us ready to move ourselves next Saturday! (We have to move ourselves, because we are electing this move! Thank goodness for good friends who are sooo willing to help us!) I have been sooo grateful that Miles has finally recovered and is back on the "clock" helping out...goes sooo much faster when there are two!

That's it...let's sum up...standing, teething, surgery, move...Living the Dream! :-)

We love and miss you all!

2 comments:

Kaelynn said...

Yep, PRK is AWEFUL for those 3 days. (Uriah handled it worse than me) I swore to have lasik too but had to have PRK. Hope you're luckier than me. It was around $1000 cheaper though. I love hearing all the family stories! You're kids are so cute!

Love and miss you guys,
Kaelynn

Kylene said...

Yep, Lasik is definitely the best. Matt had about 3 hours of recovery time which he was "prescribed" to take a three hour nap. He woke-up and was amazed. My mom had the PRK about 10 years ago, and I guess I chalked the differences up to new technology.
I hope the move goes smoothly (unless I missed it!) and if you need help with the kids let me know, I'm pretty much stuck home most days for the next 2 months.
My Mada has decided your Maddie must be super awesome. I honestly don't know if it the name thing or not, though, my girl is pretty random.