Thursday, December 27, 2007

Every Day is a Holiday

So we forgot to mention one very funny Maddie story.

We let our girls draw during sacrament meeting. This usually pacifies them enough so we can get through the meeting with minimal noise. Sometimes they ask us to draw a picture for them, and usually we comply. This day, Maddie asked me to draw a “new” mermaid (usually she asks me to draw Ariel from “The Little Mermaid”). After I drew it she then asked me what was the new mermaid's name. I first threw out the “common” name of Anastasia. However, for Maddie this would not do. She told me that “That's not right! What is her name?” I tried another relatively common name, she didn't like that one either. Then thinking I was being funny I placed a bunch of syllables together and came with a name that went something like “tataktadada”. I was expecting the usual “Dad, you're silly”; however, Maddie calmly and quickly responded “Daddy, that's a boys name!”. Apparently there is this great list of names the she is aware of and the rest of the world is not. Needless to say Tam and I almost had to take ourselves out of sacrament because we were laughing.

Now onto todays events:

Because my command was being very magnanimous, I didn't have to go to work today. It was really nice to be home. I definitely need a longer break. Tam and I are hoping to be able to take some leave within the next couple of months. However, the Navy is already planning a number of trips for me. Yeah, I just barely finished unpacking from my last trip.

Tam had a doctor appointment today, so the girls were able to go play with a couple of their friends from church. When we went to pick them up, Maddie fell apart because she didn't want to go home, and Emma (a.k.a. The Narc) began telling Tam everything that the other kids got in trouble for. As a parent, having a narc in the family is such a curse and blessing. You always want to have someone on the inside. However, you also know that nobody likes a narc. So what is a parent to do?

Other than that...nothing exciting happened today. We kept it pretty low key. Tam and I could use more of these. It was nice to spend more time with the family, before I get shipped off again.

No comments: