Friday, December 28, 2007

The Writing Party...

Had an absolutely wonderful day with the girls today! Miles had to go in to work this morning, and as always I had a list a mile long of things that I wanted to accomplish before he came home...then Emma got the blocks out and wanted Mommy to help her build a HIGH tower. The next thing I knew Maddie had brought ALL of the MegaBloks down, and magically the morning disappeared amongst blocks, legos, and lincoln logs! :-)

For lunch, I made what is called at our house "white" macaroni...that is ANY kind of pasta with Alfredo sauce on it. Alfredo sauce is a FAVORITE here in the Maschger home. Anyway, Emma decided that she didn't like "white" macaroni today, and when I told her she could eat or head to bed...she got down from the table, climbed the stairs, and put herself to bed. What do you do with a kid like that? Can't really call that a win....:-) Maddie was left at the table eating, so I sat down beside her and started working on a grocery list. She watched me writing for a bit...when suddenly she blurted, "that's a T!" I looked down at my paper, and sure enough there was a T. So I flipped the paper over, and started drawing letters for her to identify...she did AWESOME! She was able to recognize both "big" and "little" letters for most every letter in the alphabet. She is really confused with "K" and "R"..."X" and "T"..."M" and "W"...but other than that, she got them ALL. Then it got really fun...she asked me to write "glasses". So I complied, and as I wrote each letter, she named each one. Once the word was written, she asked me to draw a picture of glasses...ABOVE the word, and then I had to draw a box around the word and picture. This process was repeated for about 15 more words...she was really into the activity, and it was incredible! After about 45 minutes, I was starting to write yet another word, when she says, "Mom, that is enough." I said, "OK, we'll finish after this word" Exasperated she yells, "Mom, PAUSE!" :-) So, I stopped...she then went to grab a stack of paper, and a pen...and wanted to write the word "bed".

I wrote the word at the top of her page, and she set to work. However, she couldn't get passed the letter "B" because she couldn't get it to look like Mom's...and the more she tried, the more frustrated she got. I kept trying to calm her down, and talk to her...but it all ended with her crying and pouting on the floor. I pulled her into my lap, and asked her to tell me what the problem was...she says, "Now I can't go to the writing party" I asked, "A writing party? Where is there a writing party?" She replies, "At Wal-Mart. Now I can't go....and everybody will be there but me." Mom-of-the-year (me) says, "Well, I won't be there." She says, "Yes, you will be there with me, but I can't write." SIGH...:-/

Tonight, we decided to have a family date...we went to Baja Fresh Grill (which our girls call the "Quesadilla store") picked up dinner and brought it back home. We laid a blanket on the living room floor, and had a picnic while we watched our latest Netflix arrival, "Surf's Up". It was a great night!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

YEAH!! Tam, it's so good to "find" you! Sounds like your girls are doing great!